Friday, March 9, 2012

Holi–Festival of Colours

I had written a blog on Holi last year (2011). If you would like to know more about the festival then you can read it here

This is going to be just a photo blog.

Last year I had used my weather-proof E-5 with 12-60 lens. So I had no qualms about going into the crowd and shooting close. E-5’s (and 12-60 as well) fantastic weather seal took every storm in its stride. This time it was different. This time I had to go to office, so I was wearing formals. As a result I couldn’t go into the crowd, I had to shoot from a distance.

Initially I had thought about taking my E-5 + 50-200mm SWD (excellent combo!). But I decided against it because I needed a lighter setup (my E-5 is always on with battery-grip, so its heavier as it is and with 50-200, its like a bazooka!). So I took along my E-P2 and Panasonic m4/3 45-200mm. The performance can be described in single word – WOW!!

Here are some of the details and observations

  • I used ISO-400 because the crowd was celebrating Holi in shades and I needed fast shutter speed to capture the action. The sun was bright so even the shades were well lit.
  • The Panasonic 45-200 is an extremely light lens, with E-P2 the combination is feather light.
  • I used VF-2 external EVF all through. I think it just gives you a better idea about the exposure than the LCD. Its fantastic!
  • I used burst mode for about 50% of the shoot. I took a total of about 125 pics.
  • All pics were RAW and processed in Lightroom 3.6 (minor adjustment for brightness, contrast, and vibrancy)
  • Panasonic 45-200 is extremely fast to focus. Not a single moment I felt I missed a shot because the lens was slow to focus. If I missed a shot then I was not ready.
  • The lens rotates clockwise to zoom in, opposite of all the Olympus lenses. Unfortunately this took me some time to adjust which contributed to some missed shots :-(.
  • I found the lens to be amazingly sharp at all focal lengths.
  • For image Stabilization, I turned on the 45-200’s MEGA OIS. I kept the E-P2’s in-body IS off. I feel the MEGA OIS is more reliable at long focal lengths than the in-body IS.

Here are the pics for you to enjoy

Holi
Holi Holi
Holi
Holi Holi
Holi
Holi Holi
Holi
Holi Holi
Holi
Holi Holi
Holi

Hope you enjoyed!

Ciao!!

10 comments:

  1. there are no men celebrating? :P
    -FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No point wasting too much time on un-pretty things, is there Mr. Baig!

      BTW you missed one pic with men in it! :-)

      Delete
    2. then I'd suggest you change the title of this blog to Holi - Festival of Colorful pretty things ;-)

      Delete
  2. Puru, I think if you had tuned the lens overpower to x.345 and aperture to 4.567 with color ratio of 45:230 it would have made some difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love all the colors. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool Colors! Now regret not having done a shoot. Will have to wait a yr......
    Swati Kulkarni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swath - Next year we will do it together... ok?

      Delete

I would be really interested to know your comments. Please leave one: